Application Deadline: August 1, 2017
We are excited to announce that the 2018-2019 competition for the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program is now open! The Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program offers teaching, research and combination teaching/research awards in over 125 countries for the 2018-2019 academic year. Opportunities are available for college and university faculty and administrators as well as for professionals, artists, journalists, scientists, lawyers, independent scholars and many others.
Fulbright Global Scholar Award
The Fulbright Global Scholar Award provides support for U.S. academics and professionals to engage in multi-country, trans-regional projects. As a truly worldwide award, U.S. scholars will be able to propose research or combined teaching/research activity in two to three countries with flexible schedule options; trips can be conducted within one academic year or spread over two consecutive years. Projects are welcome in all disciplines, as well as those with an interdisciplinary focus.
Fulbright Flex Awards
Fulbright welcomes applications from scholars who propose multiple, short-term stays in the host country over a period of one to two years. Flex award scholars give public talks, participate in seminars, mentor students, and otherwise engage with the host country academic community. The Flex option is available to scholars interested in research, teaching, or pursuing a combination of teaching and research, and the catalog of awards will give detailed information on the Flex parameters for each participating country.
Postdoctoral and Early Career Awards
Fulbright presents excellent opportunities for recently minted scholars to deepen their expertise, to acquire new skills, to work with additional resources and to make connections with others in their fields, all while serving as cultural ambassadors. In addition to primary research or teaching activities, postdoctoral and early career scholars will be asked to give public talks, mentor students, and otherwise engage with the host country academic community. Postdoctoral awards are available in all fields of study, from STEM, to the arts, humanities and social sciences.
Several countries have added new awards for the 2018-2019 competition.
- Australia now offers 14 research awards, including three postdoctoral awards.
- The Fulbright-IMéRA-Aix-Marseille Université Chair in Migration Studies in France allows U.S. scholars to conduct research in any discipline relating to migration studies.
- Ireland has introduced the STEAM: Promoting Trans- and Interdisciplinary Research award for scholars interested in exploring collaborations in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, arts and humanities at University College Cork.
- Romania has added four new awards in a variety of disciplines.
- The Fulbright Astronomy and Antarctic Studies award to Chile provides the opportunity for postdoctoral fellows and early career scientists in Astronomy and Data Sciences and Antarctic Studies.
Interested faculty and professionals are encouraged to learn more about Fulbright U.S. Scholar opportunities by visiting the online Catalog of Awards. The application deadline for most awards is August 1, 2017.