to the Online FSP Application
READ THIS PAGE CAREFULLY. IT CONTAINS IMPORTANT
INSTRUCTIONS THAT WILL HELP YOU SUCCESSFULLY
SUBMIT AN APPLICATION.
Application Login Page - New and Registered Applicants
Registration emails are sent by an automated system and are sometimes rejected by the receiving server as spam. If you do not receive your message, please check the spam box. Please add email@example.com to your address book to make sure that the address is recognized by your spam filter].If your roster tenure expired three or more years ago and you are eligible to return to the Fulbright Specialists Roster, please email program staff at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. You do no need to begin a new application. For information on eligibility, please click here.
Note: You may access your application as often as you like until your final submission of the application.
FSP Roster Application - CV Section (.PDF)
- A completed curriculum vitae (c.v.): The c.v. should be no longer than five pages. Please note that special formatting will not transfer into the online application (e.g. tabs, bold, underlined, or italicized text, bullets and indents). We suggest you block format your c.v., provide an English translation for all non-English titles and capitalize the section headers. The c.v. content should be tailored to highlight your academic and professional credentials for the discipline and specialization under which you are applying. Include evidence of participation in relevant activities that indicate your potential contributions as a Specialist. To see a sample format for the c.v. profile click on the ‘FSP Roster Application - CV Section’ above. Please prepare your c.v. in a separate (Word) document and cut and paste them into the text boxes.
- Two Reference Letters: Internal reference from a supervisor or colleague at your current institution or organization; External reference from a colleague outside your current institution or organization. Once you input the requested contact information online, click the "Send E-Mail" button so that an automated e-mail message can be sent to the referees asking them to complete an online reference form for you. [Note: Referee emails are sent by an automated system and are sometimes rejected by the receiving server as spam. If the referee does not receive their message to complete a reference, he/she should check their spam box. It is also suggested that they add email@example.com to their address book to make sure that the address is recognized by their spam filter.] To view a copy of the referee form click here.
- If you are self-employed, both references must be from colleagues who are very familiar with your work within the discipline. If you are retired, your internal reference letter should be from a colleague who is very familiar with your work at your former institution. Referees must be able to speak to your knowledge and ability in the field in which you are applying to the program. Ensure that you input the correct contact information for each referee. Please contact your referees prior to submitting your application to make them aware that they will be receiving an e-mail message from the Fulbright Specialist Program, firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, confirm with your referees that this message has been received (the message may be directed to a bulk mail or spam folder if the recipient has a strict spam filter).
NOTE: Letters from former professors with whom applicants have not worked as colleagues, relatives, potential host institution contacts or colleagues employed by cooperating agencies such as the State Department, U.S. Embassy or Fulbright Commission will not be accepted as peer references.
- Summary of Professional Achievements: Describe, in 1000 characters (including spaces) or less, your five most significant professional accomplishments, major publications, honors and awards. Special formatting will not transfer into the online application (e.g. tabs, bold, underlined, or italicized text, bullets and indents). Please prepare your summary in a separate (Word) document and cut and paste it into the text box.
- Motivational Statement: Describe, in 2500 characters (including spaces) or less, your motivation for applying to, and interest in participating in the Fulbright Specialists Program. Keep in mind you are applying for admission to the FSP Roster as an expert in your field, not for a specific project or country (though you may briefly mention interest in a country). Your statement should include a brief explanation of the potential value of your participation relative to the goals of the Specialists grant program. Please prepare your statement in a separate (Word) document and cut and paste it into the text box.
- Preparation for Participation: Describe, in 2500 characters (including spaces) or less, the potential value of your participation to overseas universities, your home institution and professional networks. Please prepare your statement in a separate (Word) document and cut and paste it into the text box.
- Potential Contributions: Describe, in 2500 characters (including spaces) or less, examples of potential contributions given the eligible activities for this program. Please prepare your statement in a separate (Word) document and cut and paste it into the text box.
- All questions marked with a red asterisk (*) are mandatory. You will not be allowed to submit your application if a mandatory field is left blank.
- As a security feature, the application is designed to time out after 20 minutes of inactivity. If the application times out, any unsaved data will be lost. Therefore, we strongly recommend that you prepare and save your curriculum vitae, 1000-Character Summary of Professional Achievements, 2500-Character Motivational Statement, 2500-Character Preparation for Participation statement, and 2500-Character Potential Contributions statement ahead of time in a separate document and then cut and paste them into the application rather than composing them online.
- Remember to click save & continue after completing each page. Information will not be saved in the system if you do not click save or save & continue before moving to the next page of the application.
- At the top of each page are links to the other application pages.
You may use these links as shortcuts to return to sections of the application
that you previously completed, but if you change information on the page and do
not click either the save or save & continue button, the information will not be
- Once the application is completed, you must officially submit the application to CIES. It is strongly recommended that you print out a copy of your application prior to final submission. Press the Submit to CIES button on the final page to submit your application to the Fulbright Specialist Program. If you have successfully completed your application, a message will appear asking you to provide feedback on the application process. Otherwise, the system is designed to return the applicant to the page in the application where mandatory information is missing. Carefully check the page and complete the missing information. Required fields are marked with a red asterisk. Remember to click save & continue if you do have to make any additional changes. Once the application is submitted, you will no longer have access to the actual application, but you can check the status of your references.
- If you have any problems that are not solved by reading these instructions, please contact us at Fulspec@iie.org or 202.686.6235. Please provide your full name, login ID, password, and date of registration. To assist you with most problems, we will also need to know what type and model of Internet browser you are using. (e.g., Netscape 4.7, or Internet Explorer 6.0, AOL 9.0, etc.). Please be as specific as possible when contacting CIES about problems you are experiencing with the application Web site.
You can no longer access the application content once you have successfully submitted the application, but you can check the status of your references. An email message will be sent to the applicant confirming receipt of the application once CIES has received both references and the application has been checked for completeness and basic eligibility. The application will then be sent for review. While CIES accepts applications on a rolling basis, applications are sent to discipline peer review committees eight times per year. For a schedule of this year's review cycles click here.