Tips for Submitting a Successful Roster Application
Technical Tips on Using the Online Application System
- All questions marked with a red asterisk (*) are mandatory. You will not be allowed to submit your application if a mandatory field is left blank.
- All questions with a magnifying glass () beside them require you to type the first few letters of the response, and choose the response from the resulting list rather than typing in the entire response. The online system will not allow you to save and proceed if you have not entered the response in this way.
- As a security feature, the application is designed to time out after 20 minutes of inactivity. Applicants should save responses every 10 to 15 minutes to prevent the loss of information. If the application times out, any unsaved data will be lost. Therefore, we strongly recommend that you prepare and save long responses ahead of time in a separate document, and then cut and paste them into the application rather than composing them online. Please be aware that there are character limits for various sections. These limits include (spaces included) the: 25,000-character limit for the curriculum vitae (CV) section, 1,000-character Summary of Professional Achievements, 2,500-character Motivational Statement, 2,500-character Preparation for Participation statement, and 2,500-character Potential Contributions statement. The online system will not accept responses that exceed character limits.
- Remember to click save & continue after completing each page. Information will not be saved in the system if you do not click save or save & continue before moving to the next page of the application.
- At the top of each page are links to the other application pages. You may use these links as shortcuts to return to sections of the application that you previously completed, but if you change information on the page and do not click either the save or save & continue button, the information will not be saved.
- Once the application is completed, you must officially submit the application to CIES. It is strongly recommended that you print out a copy of your application prior to final submission. Press the Verify and Submit Application button on the final page to submit your application to the Fulbright Specialist Program. If you have successfully completed your application, a message will appear asking you to provide feedback on the application process. Otherwise, the system is designed to return the applicant to the page in the application where mandatory information is missing. Carefully check the page and complete the missing information. Required fields are marked with a red asterisk. Remember to click save & continue if you do have to make any additional changes. Once the application is submitted, you will no longer have access to the actual application, but you can check the status of your references.
Emails from email@example.com are sometimes rejected by the receiving email server as spam. If you do not receive your message, please check the spam box. Also, please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book to make sure that the address is recognized by your spam filter.
- If you have any problems that are not solved by reading these instructions, please contact us at email@example.com or 202.686.6235. Please provide your full name, login ID, password, and date of registration. To assist you with most problems, we will also need to know what type and model of Internet browser you are using. (e.g., Mozilla Firefox 15, or Internet Explorer 9.0, etc.). Please be as specific as possible when contacting CIES about problems you are experiencing with the application Web site.
Tips on Application Sections and Content
- Please complete the Personal Information, Employment Information, and Home Contact information in this section, following the technical tips above.
- Enter academic degrees by clicking the "Add Record" link. You may enter up to four degrees by clicking on "Add Record" for each entry. Please enter the highest degree that you have earned first, and enter only earned degrees.
- Summary of Professional Achievements: Describe, in 1,000 characters (including spaces) or less, your five most significant professional accomplishments, including items such as major publications, honors, teaching and research awards, compositions and exhibitions. Special formatting will not transfer into the online application (e.g. tabs, bold, underlined, or italicized text, bullets and indents). Please prepare your summary in a separate document (i.e. in Microsoft Word) and cut and paste it into the text box.
- Motivational Statement: Describe, in 2,500 characters (including spaces) or less, your motivation for applying to, and interest in participating in, the Fulbright Specialists Program. Keep in mind you are applying for admission to the FSP Roster as an expert in your field, not for a specific project or country (though you may briefly mention interest in a country). Your statement should include a brief explanation of the potential value of your participation relative to the goals of the Specialist program. Please prepare your summary in a separate document (i.e. in Microsoft Word) and cut and paste it into the text box.
- Preparation for Participation: Describe, in 2,500 characters (including spaces) or less, the potential value of your participation to overseas universities, your home institution and professional networks. Please prepare your summary in a separate document (i.e. in Microsoft Word) and cut and paste it into the text box.
- Potential Contributions: Describe, in 2,500 characters (including spaces) or less, examples of potential contributions given the eligible activities for this program. Please prepare your summary in a separate document (i.e. in Microsoft Word) and cut and paste it into the text box.
- Please complete the Specialist Information and Past Activities information in this section, indicating only the areas and activities in which you have demonstrated experience.
Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- A completed, well-formatted curriculum vitae (CV): Click here to view a sample format and content for the CV section.
- CV information must be no longer than 25,000 characters (spaces included). Please note that special formatting will not transfer into the online application (e.g. tabs, bold, underlined, or italicized text, bullets and indents). Please provide an English translation for all non-English titles and capitalize the section headers. CV content should be tailored to highlight your academic and professional credentials for the discipline and specialization under which you are applying. Include evidence of participation in relevant activities that indicate your potential contributions as a Specialist. Applicants are strongly advised to prepare CV information in a separate document first (i.e. in Microsoft Word), and then cut and paste into the online system.
- Responses of two Referees: Applicants are required to have two referees – one internal, one external – submit responses to reference questions in the online system.
- Internal referee - A supervisor or colleague at your current institution or organization
- External referee - A colleague outside your current institution or organization.
Once you input and save the requested contact information online in the References’ section, click the "Send E-Mail" button so that an automated e-mail message can be sent to the referees asking them to complete an online reference form for you. [Note: Referee emails are sent by an automated system and are sometimes rejected by the receiving server as spam. If a referee does not receive his/her email request to complete a reference, he/she should check their spam box and add firstname.lastname@example.org to their address book to make sure that the address is recognized by their spam filter.] The referee can email email@example.com to request that the email be resent. Click here to view a copy of the referee form.
If you are self-employed, both referees must be from colleagues who are very familiar with your work within your discipline. If you are retired, your internal referee should be from a colleague who is very familiar with your work at your former institution. Referees must be able to speak to your knowledge and ability in the field in which you are applying to the program. Ensure that you input the correct contact information for each referee. Please contact your referees prior to submitting your application to make them aware that they will be receiving an e-mail message from the Fulbright Specialist Program (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Note: References from former professors with whom applicants have not worked as colleagues, relatives, potential host institution contacts, or colleagues employed by cooperating agencies such as the U.S. Department of State, U.S. embassies, or Fulbright commissions will not be accepted as peer references.
After a U.S. Specialist Roster applicant has successfully submitted an application, he/she can no longer access the application content, but can check the status of references. An email message will be sent to the applicant confirming receipt of the application once CIES has received both references and the application has been checked for completeness and basic eligibility. The application will then be sent for peer review. While CIES accepts applications on a rolling basis, applications are sent to discipline peer review committees eight times per year. Select Timeline tab to view this year's peer review cycle schedule.