Four-week Intensive English Language Workshop for Libyan Scholars
Deadline: December 4, 2013 (11:59 p.m. EST)
Eligible host institutions are invited to apply to host a four-week English Language Intensive Workshop for Libyan Scholars, to prepare the Fulbright visiting scholars to effectively participate in a tailored 10-week junior faculty program at a U.S. university. Fulbright programs are intended to promote grantees' academic and professional development, and serve the overall goal of the Fulbright Program: to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries.
The Fulbright Visiting Scholar Program for Libya is designed to bring approximately 20 junior Libyan faculty to the U.S. for four weeks of intensive English at one institution to be selected, followed by ten weeks of faculty development, mentoring, and cultural exchange activities at one of four U.S. institutions. The intent of the program is to equip grantees with the knowledge and tools needed to build the capacity of universities in Libya and to advance the education of future generations of Libyans. In addition, it lays the foundation for Libyan scholars and their U.S. hosts to develop long-term institutional relationships and to identify areas of cooperation that can be sustained beyond the grant period. The program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA), as part of its flagship Fulbright Program (http://www.fulbright.state.gov) and designed by the Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES), a division of the Institute of International Education (IIE) in cooperation with ECA.
A proposal is requested for a four-week program of intensive English for approximately 20 Fulbright junior faculty from Libya on or close to the following dates:
Length of Program
Weekend of June 1, 2014
The deadline for electronic receipt of proposals by CIES is 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time, December 4, 2013.
The four-week English Intensive Workshop will benefit the Libyan participants by developing the oral and written English skills necessary for effective professional communication and academic engagement during their subsequent Fulbright faculty development programs.
Institutions submitting proposals to host the four-week English Intensive Workshop for Junior Faculty from Libya must meet the following criteria to be considered for an award:
Host institution must be accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education, as being a reliable authority.
- Host institution is a registered institution of higher education duly organized and existing under the laws of the host institution’s state of incorporation;
- Institution has experience designing and implementing specialized, intensive English training and professional development programs for faculty;
- Institution demonstrates a strong understanding of higher education in and has established linkages with Libya;
- Institution will provide customized English language training on campus;
- Institution will provide training in information technology, applicable to classroom instruction;
- Institution will provide access to the same facilities offered to university students and faculty, including but not limited to: recreation facilities; university libraries, computerized search files, online catalogs, discipline-specific libraries, electronic journals and resources;
- Institution will provide housing, with private bedroom, bath, and kitchen for each participant;
- Institution must be eligible to receive federal funds and not disbarred;